Tuesday, January 1, 2008

my 24-book challenge (2008)

I came across this quote by William H. Gass about slow readers. I don't know If I am a slow reader but one thing is sure, I lack the luxury of time these days.



"Only the slow reader will notice the odd crowd of images-flier, butcher, seal-which have gathered to comment on the aims and activities of the speeding reader, perhaps like gossips at a wedding.”

I wasn't able to get through my (target) number of readings last year. I don't even know if I could get any better this year but it will never be dubbed as a "challenge" if it's easy, right? So I thought of doubling the numbers. Nyaha! A total of 24 books in a year! That means I have to finish at least 2 books in a month. How's that for a slow reader like me?

Tha challenge goes on….


January

1) Hamlett, Alison. Collins Need to know? Running. 2004

2) Rushdie, Salman. Midnight's Children. 1980

February - March

3) Zafra, Jessica. Twisted 8: The Night of the Living Twisted. 2008.

April

4) Villanueva, Rene. Personal: Mga Sanaysay sa Lupalop ng Gunita. 2006.

May
5) Sedaris, David. Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim. 2004.



June
6) Carver, Raymond. What We Talk About When We Talk About Love. 1981.
7) Maguire, Gregory. The Dream Stealer. 2002.
8) Pullman, Philip. The Butterfly Tattoo. 1992.


July - August
9) Coetzee, J.M. Youth. 1986.


September
10) Winterson, Jeanette. Powerbook. 2005.

October
11) Murakami, Haruki. What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. 2008

November- December
12) Meyer, Stephanie. Twilight. 2007

-----------

Bollocks! I've read 12 books in a year...so much for a challenge. Anyway, there's still 2009. I hope I would finally get my quota. 24 books in 2009!!!

2 comments:

pieterbie said...

2 books a month is good!
I'm on my second this year, which is also good. I'll never make 2 a month, though.
Midnights Children is a great work, you have to have read it.
Hope you enjoy!

The Scud said...

i'm currently reading joe hill's heart-shaped box. nice read pero i had to put the book aside for now. na-adik kasi ako sa the office. hehe.

Blog Archive

Followers