Thursday, February 4, 2010

Everything has a history

Yes, even this book.

I just finished reading “The Bridges of Madison County” last night and as I was browsing through the cover, I remembered how I have acquired the book.

I was with my cousin. He needed to buy something in the mall. I came along out of ennui. We passed by a bookshop that sells previously owned books. Instinctively, I asked him if I could look around and maybe buy some time. Somewhere in that corner, I found a hardbound copy of RJ Waller’s The Bridges of Madison County. I have shied away from watching the film because Clint Eastwood was in it. I adore Meryl Streep so much, but I dislike Eastwood. I haven’t totally figured out the reason for loathing him, but as a child, I hated seeing him on television .

So anyway, I opened the book and found this charming note:

The Bridges of Madison County


…and one can tell a lot about the history of this book just by reading such simple note.

-------

I've only read 5 books last year, so shamingly that I promised myself that I will finish my book challenge this year. Oki said we should lessen our tv time and read more books instead. She's reading Bukowski in the middle of reading books on accountancy and some other "alien" stuff (Math and anything with numbers are all "alien" to me). But with the soaps and PBB, I don't think I can. The only time I could watch tv is when I come home from work. And then sleeping takes over. And then work again.

Anyway, I try waking up early in the morning these days to accomodate the "need to read more books". I learned that it's also the best time to read since the brain can easily absorb the information.

I am reading JM Coetzee's Elizabeth Costelo and the first word that comes to mind is: ABSCOND.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

a lasting twilight...great idea. even if it is a nostalgic part of the day for me.


Crim

Photo Cache said...

people who use ENNUI are my kind of people. :)

Anonymous said...

"In a universe of ambiguity, this kind of certainty comes only once, and never again, no matter how many lifetimes you live..."

this line is what elicits girly screams from Rm. 4312 sa Women's. my room, with uber-doe eyed, romantic roommates.

my gulch said...

@Crim: lasting twilight. honestly? i don't like the idea. could be poetic but i don't like the realistic sense of it. but then dusk is a different thing. the darker side of twilight. sorry for not making sense here.:-D

@Loser Paul: hello. :-D

@photo cache: really? ENNUI is my favorite word. :-D

@Anony: yes, uber doe-eyed talaga. na-imagine ko yun. okay din itong line na ito ni Francesca: "I was just going to have some iced tea and split the atom." hehe

Blog Archive

Followers