Tuesday, September 25, 2007

People you meet in Lucap

“In life, you meet people. Some you never think about again.
Some, you wonder what happened to them.
There are some that you wonder if they ever think about you.
And then there are some you wish you never had to think about again. But you do.”

Now whoever said that was way right on track. One thing I’ve learned lately when traveling is to make a connection. Connecting to people even with the slightest chance that I might see (and not see) them again. Connecting doesn't have to be that intense, we can connect to people even with the slightest remarks.

That morning, I got up really early to look around the place and observe. It was around 6:00 am and Lucap Wharf was already swarming with people, most of which were local fishers, joggers, and early strollers. Lucap Wharf or locally known as the Pantalan is the jump off point to Hundred Islands, located in Brgy. Lucap, Alaminos (roughly four hours from Cubao Terminal in Manila).

I sat in one of the benches, making nods to people, smiling a bit (there's not much of a connection here, is there?). A girl with a hat and camera would not easily blend with the locals. They knew my reason for being there. Some were conscious, some have perhaps gotten used to it. One of the locals even approached me and greeted me a "Merry Christmas" and asked for money. hehehe.

Anyway, here are some of the 'most' interesting people I’ve seen while sitting near the dock.

earlystrollers

EARLY WISH. I nearly stalk this woman for awhile. I got interested in her skirt and black boots outfit. She doesn't seem to fit well with the scene. But the way she sat there on the dock, looking languidly at the sky and the vast sea, she suddenly bacame a mystery to me. When she left, I noticed that the men who were also hanging out at the dock were all eyed on her, some of them even gave her a whistle.


lookingforsomething

LOOKING FOR SOMETHING. I really have no idea what she was looking for but it seems important because a few minutes later, a man (perhaps her husband) was helping her to look for whatever it was they were searching. An earring perhaps?

Breadman


MR. BREADMAN. This one's my favorite. I caught him on time while he was coming to me. He sells locally-made bread like pandesal, pandecoco, etc. I find this mobile breadshop very conducive, getting all his breads delivered in time with my brewed coffee.

earlyfishers

EARLY FISHERS. He didn't catch anything. I know so. I was waiting there too. The guy at the back, he knows I was taking their photos but he has this certain creative way of acting as if he doesn't know I was there. And not once did I catch him taking a glimpse at my side.

schoolgirl


SCHOOL GIRL. A girl I chance upon while walking on her way to school. I got to exchange a few words with her before she left. Nice kid, very friendly. She calls me "Ate" (sister). Didn't her teacher tell her not to talk to strangers. :-)


biker


MANONG ON THE BIKE. He was pedalling fast but I caught up with him. I was panning all the way through and he caught me. Love his outfit.


-------

2 comments:

pieterbie said...

What great photos! I can fully understand you stalking the young woman in the skirt. She has something, I love her look, the way she throws back her head.
The schoolgirl looks pretty cute and the bread vehicle is indeed superb! Love this kind of inventiveness.
Thinking of doing a panning was very good as well, all in all a very productive early morning, I guess.

Sidney said...

How far we travel in life matters far less than those we meet along the way.
-unknown-

Very nice series... great capture of ordinary people who aren't ordinary anymore now... ;-)

Blog Archive

Followers